There is a set pattern that every Texas Holdem poker game follows. With every Texas Holdem poker game you play you would improve and learn the flow of the game and improve your skills
A poker game is played between 2 to 8 players online. There are many different levels at which betting happens, but the flow of a Texas Holdem poker game is best described a little lower on this page.
The aim of a Texas Holdem poker game is to get together the best possible hand using one or two of the cards dealt to you and completing a hand of five cards in total using the rest of the community cards.
How a Texas Holdem poker game works
- The betting structure can vary, but most games start with two players placing out a predetermined amount of money so there is an initial amount to play for. This is called posting the blinds. These players are the two to the left of the dealer. A game usually consists of anywhere between 2 and 8 players.
- The dealer shuffles up a deck of 52 playing cards and then each player is dealt two cards face down. These are called your hole or pocket cards.
- A frist round of betting starts then with the guy to the left of the two who posted the blinds. This round is usually referred to by the term pre-flop. (the flop will be the first cards dealt that all players can see. It is also called community cards)
- The amount that is bet depends on what type of game is played.
- As in most games of poker, players can check, raise, or fold.
- After the betting round ends, the dealer discards the top card of the deck and it is called burning the card. This is done to prevent cheating.
- The dealer then flips the next three cards face up on the table. These cards are called the flop. They are communal cards that anyone can use in combination with their two pocket cards to form a poker hand.
- Another round of betting will then be done, starting with the player to the left of the dealer.
- After the betting concludes, the dealer burns another card and flips one more onto the table. This is called the turn card. Players can use this sixth card as part of their poker hand as well, but in the end only five cards will count
- The player to the left of the dealer begins another round of betting. In many types of games, this is where the bet size doubles.
- Finally, the dealer burns a card and places a final card face up on the table. This is called the river. Players can now use any of the five cards on the table or the two cards in their pocket to form a five card poker hand.
- There is one final round of betting starting with the player to the left of the dealer.
- After that, all of the players remaining in the game begin to reveal their hands. This begins with the player to the left of the last player to call and this is commonly referred to as the showdown.
- The player with the best hand is the winner (have a look at the poker winning hands). If there is no clear winner according these winning hands, the winner is the player who holds the highest pocket card.
In any game of Poker only 5 cards can be used to determine the winning hand and this must include at least one of your pocket cards. If your hand and that of an opponent has the same value and both your second pocket cards are the same, the hand will be drawn.
If you have watched ESPN you would have probably seen the World Series of Poker. At the World Series of Poker the main event played is Texas Holdem Poker and now you can play online Poker.
If is not always that possible to get friends together for a poker game and normally there aren’t that many poker rooms in the towns and cities. With online Texas Holdem poker this is totally different.
With online poker you can enjoy poker at any time of the day and night, you just need to be on the internet.
Over the past five years many poker rooms have popped up and they offer regular tournaments and games for every level of player. Online poker also allows you to chat with the other players playing online and this makes playing so much more interesting.
Online poker can be played at any of the poker rooms shown on our site, but we would recommend the four shown above. If you are relatively new to poker and online Texas Holdem poker in particular, be sure to check out the following sections which should help you when playing online:
- poker starting hands
- texas holdem poker strategy
- pre flop strategy
One of the main advantages of Online Poker is that you can play free Texas Holdem poker. This offers you the chance to learn how to play without using any money and this is a wonderful way to practice.
The only problem with this is that other players will bet more than they normally would on hands that aren’t as good, but it would get you going in the right direction.
Another great way to practice your Texas Holdem poker skills is through a game like Mel’s Poker. It can be downloaded for free and played when you are offline.